Wednesday, July 21, 2010

the road ahead.

now that i have seen,
i am responsible,
faith without deeds is dead.


It is hard to find the words to capture the emotions that I feel when I think about what is in store this next year. I am humbled and overjoyed, excited and terrified, blessed and grateful all in the same breath. As I am called beyond my comfort zone and beyond my borders, I remember that he works in radical ways, comforting the disturbed and disturbing the comfortable.

If I can sum up my journey for the next year in one sentence, I would tell you that I have been called to be a witness to love: to love and be loved. I truly believe that this is what our world is desperately in need of - lovers, people who are building deep, genuine relationships and who know the faces of the people behind the issues they are concerned about.

I have seen this love in my own community: watching my peers rally together to build a school in Uganda or set a world record for the biggest hug in honour of a friend with cancer. Love is in smiles and laughter, tears and compassion. I have been shown so much love and I only hope that I can reflect a fraction of it into the lives of those I meet.

Over the next year, as I travel to St. John’s, Newfoundland and Saltpond, Ghana with a group of strangers, I pray that love is not just our inspiration, but our purpose and our goal. This love is not a destination and will not culminate at the end of the six month experience, but will transcend borders and time, transform communities and individuals.

The next year will be unforgettable. I don’t know exactly where I will end up -- maybe in an AIDS clinic, an orphanage, a neonatal intensive care unit, a school, a hospital, a shelter and or a nursing home -- but I know that wherever I am is exactly where I am meant to be.

I want to know what its like to really love others: without reservation or hesitation. So I’ve decided to spend the next year on the experiment.

Feel free to join me. We might just change the world.

........

"Spread love everywhere you go. Let no one ever come to you without leaving happier." - Mother Theresa

No comments:

Post a Comment